Cardio? or Weight Training?
The main reasons to combine weight loss and cardio are:
- Your Basal Metabolic Rate remains higher if weight training is included. What this means is the muscles actually use more energy than fat cells do as they are working and repairing 24/7.
- Having a higher BMR means less chance of regaining lost weight as your body attempts to get back to the previous weight set point.
- You lose more fat than muscle if you weight train which is the opposite to only using cardio. http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/weight-exercises-women has a good article on this
- Clothes fit better because your body shapes with the muscles being used to do the weight training
- As you get older and less active the muscles get smaller and fat layers get larger, reverse this with WT
- Calories get expended faster depending on the exercises so it may take less time at the gym to get the body you want, more time is left to do other things you enjoy
- Exercising, as well as dieting, helps keep you on track as you don't want that time you have spent at the gym to be a waste
- Exercise helps lower your stress levels and the hormones related to it. High steroid levels (from stress) means fat is laid down in the abdominal area which you don't want
- Your mood will improve. Go and exercise for about 90 minutes and you will see what I mean. It doesn't have to be that long. Try out a good walk around your local area.
- Doing a variety of weight exercises (circuit training) does raise your pulse a bit so it is having some cardio effect.
- Most people find they are more productive after WT. I find I come home and get through my housework faster which lets me get to my creative activities quicker and I am more alert doing those as well i.e. more gets done. Your boss will love you at work for this result.
- You could live longer as you are fitter than the average person, stronger, more focused on your health, have a reason to get up and out in the morning and socialise with others more often.
- It has also proven to make you smarter ( I am not talking about those bulky idiots that take steroids and keel over early). Maybe your general circulation is improved. Increased oxygen levels within your body is better for your cells everywhere. Your short term and long term memory is improved.Your attention span increases as you consistently use it to make sure WT is done to form and the amount of reps you decided on.
- Cardio can be used at the start to warm your muscles up and at the end to warm down.